Tuesday, March 22, 2011

How to do Ireland



It's a well known fact among my inner circle that I take tremendously good care of my soul. "Krissy" time is not just an unplanned hour of self-love and bonding jammed into my free time, it is something I make time for, and go all out on.
This past week I took Krissy time to a whole new level, I packed up my purse and headed to western Ireland for a week to celebrate St. Patricks day, something every Northeastern yank hopes to do one day.
Now it should be noted that if you are ever to go to Ireland specifically for St. Pats, you should probably go to Dublin, or actually just stay stateside and go to Boston, I hear they do a pretty good job, but since I don't like Dublin and I'm not bro enough for Boston, I headed out west to Valentia Island in County Kerry. It's pretty rural, and pretty pretty. I'd highly recommend it for anyone looking to get away for a little "you time." Anyway here's what I did:

25. Met Ted Kennedy
24. Pet a horse
23. Played in a 500 year old fort
22. Got drunk on a beach
21. Proposed to a stranger- got turned down
20. Drank cider
19. Threw up cider
18. Climbed on a lot of rocks
17. Climbed a few trees
16. Saw a lighthouse
15. Played in an old castle
14. Drank some Guinness
13. Ate a lamb
12. Taught my friend how to ride a bike-ish
11. Actually cooked
10. Did yoga
9. Played in an Irish spring
8. Sat on a cliff
7. Drank a lot of whiskey
6. Ate a lot of chocolate
5. Made a fire
4. Watched movies
3. Rode a bike- jesus I forgot how much that hurt
2. Played in a grotto
1. Caught a lephrechaun


The best part of going to the countryside of Ireland is that you actually get to see the real Ireland. Dublin, Cork, and Galway are all totally awesome (except I hate Dublin) but they are very touristy and you'll end up hanging out with the Johnsons from Kansas in Temple Bar talking about the Irish experience, which you aren't actually experiencing. When it comes to most places, but especially Ireland, the more rural the better. The food is usually better, the beer is just as good, and you won't have to pay 10 euro to visit the old ruins, you can just jump the fence!

Heres the leprechaun I caught.


1 comment:

  1. Nice, back to travel talk, I'm a pig in shit.

    Very true about Ireland, Dublin and Galway are filled with foreigners. Go to Cork, Belfast or anywhere on the coasts. I am an Ireland snob, I'll be going back for my third time this May for my friend's wedding. His wife is a Cork townie so I get to see the "real" Ireland, much of which isn't that much different from the U.S. And by that I mean the poverty, dirtbags and eroding economy that the travel packages don't include.

    More on meeting Ted Kennedy please. And your marriage proposal rejection...

    Also, something is up with my sign-in name so I appear to be a long line of numbers for now.

    ReplyDelete