Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A response to a response....

So yesterday I got a response to my blog on my friend's facebook wall. Since I'm a giver I am going to share with you the response and then I will write my own response. It's like a share circle.

My quote from yesterday's blog:

"But the thing is, while so many people I know are settling into the grind, living at home and getting wifed up, I got drunk for a week straight with one of my childhood friends in London....game, set, match."

And here is what my biggest fan had to say:

Dear Krissy Cash Dennison

I got wifed up and since that time have travelled to almost every European country as well as South Africa and East Africa many times, have lived in Europe and America, have vacationed in resorts with athletes and m
ovie stars, have dined in some of the worlds premier restaurants, have laughed and cried with the person I wifed up, got drunk been sober and got drunk again and made love to the finest lady I have ever known ... "the wifed up one"


And now here's my new response:

Dear The wifed up one,
All relationships are different and it sounds like yours is pretty awesome. I mean movie stars? wow! Fun fact, my parents have also been happily married for almost 30 years and I still catch them making out in the kitchen so I know that marriages can work. I'm not doing the whole "taming of the shrew" thing so relax.
That being said, there is nothing worse than a couple of twenty year olds who are not emotionally mature enough to allow the other one to leave the room without letting them know. It gets even sadder when the couple stays together simply because they feel obligated to. They will usually end up resenting the shit out of each other by the time they hit 30. Because, despite what romantic comedies tell you, codependence is never hot.
Here's a little case study for you: A former high school friend of mine got into a very intense relationship at the age of 17. 17! They were so in love, so much so that they burned every other bridge they had. They spent their college years staying in the dorm watching Anchorman and talking about how much they loved each other and how special and magical their bond was. They broke up 4 years later and realized they didn't have a life anymore. She still lives at home.
I too was wifed up once. It was only for a couple of months but that boy was my world. I hung out with him and his lame friends instead of with my much cooler friends. I pretended to watch sports and played video games thinking that if I didn't he'd cheat on me. Even though it was only a few months the damage had been done. I had wasted 4 months of my life and had nothing to show for it. Then I got over it, studied in Ireland, then went backpacking in Europe, then studied in Romania, then moved to London. None of the hotels I stayed at hosted athletes or movie stars and I mostly ate bread and cheese. Maybe if I had been married or in a relationship the hotels would have been better and the restaurants would have been Michelin starred. Maybe we would have laughed and cried and held hands through the louvre, or maybe, and more likely, I'd be stuck in Rochester, New York drinking Keystone lite and wishing he'd get off the fucking xbox.
So Mr. Wifed up, enjoy your relationship and treat your homegirl well, but don't condescend those who have chosen to date themselves. The planet is big enough for the both of us. Besides, I'm a 22 year old girl, I really wouldn't take anything I say too seriously.





















5 comments:

  1. Excuse me... did you just call me a lame friend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know where this picture was taken but I feel bad for your friends. Mainly because there apparently seems to be a shortage of shirts that aren't plaid or gingham.

    On a side note, this blog was fun at first but now it's just annoying middle school shit. Please go back to travel talk and describing life in other countries, getting drunk and stories of how everyone hates us.

    Thanks pal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust me, I would love to but I haven't gotten drunk in another country in months HOWEVER I'm going to Ireland for St. Patrick's day so I imagine there will be some good shit out of that....
    I did get drunk in central London the other night and walked home with no shoes though, my parents would def. be proud.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. also.....that is a tremendous amount of plaid

    ReplyDelete